Wednesday 31 October 2007

Barking

Yesterday, I was barked at whilst entering my own country. I don't know what it is about giving some people a uniform that sends them a little power crazy, but it is annoying. However, it is rather funny to be nauseatingly chipper in answering them and watch the little veins pop out on their foreheads (as you don't want to end up dying locked in a security section of an airport). This is something along the lines of how the exchange went:

Normal girl not trying to smuggle anything in or be a terrorist: 'Hello' (smiles and hands passport and stupid customs document to nice and ginormous immigration man)
Uniform-wearing muppet: (grunt - throws passport back at girl)
UWM: 'HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN GONE????'
NGNTTSAIOBT: 'I live outside the country'
UWM: 'HOW LONG WILL YOU BE IN THIS COUNTRY????'
NGNTTSAIOBT (with inanely happy grin on face): 'Almost a month. Until... the 24th of November.'
UWM: 'WHAT ARE YOU HERE FOR???'
NGNTTSAIOBT: 'I am a recruiter for a university.'
UWM: 'WHAT UNIVERSITY????'
NGNTTSAIOBT: 'The University of East Anglia'
(pause, while he figures out what the heck was just said)
UWM: 'WHAT DO YOU DO????'
NGNTTSAIOBT: 'Ummm. I recruit?'
(pause, whilst mupper furrows his brow trying to read that I have visited no farms nor am bringing sheep in with my luggage)
UWM: 'WHAT IS IN THAT BAG????' (points at large suitcase, which admittedly could fit a small sheep)
NGNTTSAIOBT (with baffled smile): 'Ummm. Clothes.'
UWM: 'WHAT IS IN THAT BOX????' (points at large box luggage)
NGNTTSAIOBT (with pitying smile): 'A display board.'
UWM: 'WHAT IS IT FOR????'
NGNTTSAIOBT: 'Recruiting?'
UWM: 'STEP FORWARD!!!!!!!!' (with no smile)
NGNTTSAIOBT: 'Yes. Thank you.' (with ridonkulously massive smile)

To contrast this, not 10 minutes earlier, on the other side of the barrier, a very nice immigration man said, 'Welcome back' as he stamped my passport.

I mean for crying out loud, drink some Kool-Aid or somethin'.

Actually, he might have been related to the Texas trooper who left another stopped motorist, chased and stopped me one time for the crime of driving a cherry red Grand Prix (bastard Enterprise) at the horrific speed of (dun-dun-DUN) The Speed Limit. That man was so extraordinarily angry that he couldn't give me a ticket for anything, that I thought he might have a coronary on the side of I-20. (tee hee hee) Now, I really do not have a problem with authority -- I just have a problem with people who decide they just might be a minor deity because they have something you don't (a badge, a newly purchased set of boobs, stock in a Fortune Cookie company... you know the type).

As it is now 5.45am local time, I am going to head down to the lobby and see if they have coffee out yet. It is very sad that sleep seems to have abandoned me for the night, esp. as the Cloud Nine bedding at Hampton Inns is soooooo luxurious! No, really! Maybe when I have a house, I will outfit the bedrooms like little Hampton Inns (with extra bookcases, woolen items and cats) :)

It is also interesting to note that the bill for the night is delivered at least by 4am, as mine was already under my door at that time. Someone isvery industrious.

No comments: