Tuesday 16 October 2007

The Great Storm

Twenty years ago last night, the largest hurricane (and only, I think) in memory (or at least in 300 years. Some people have a hard time remembering 300 minutes ago...) hit Britain.

Yesterday, they had as guest meteorologist yesterday on BBC1, Michael Fish, whose unfortunately categoric denial of any hurricanes coming to Britain has been much mocked. Poor man. I think I would have become a desert island shell collector or something. Or an accountant.

It is rainy, rainy, rainy. Which I do not mind one single bit, as at least I am not sweating like a lady of ill repute in church. And because tights are one of my favourite things to wear.

Oh, and last night, I got to go to dinner (well, and lunch yesterday, too) with the Deputy Minister of Education of the Republic of Tatarstan! She is a lovely person even though everything had to be communicated through a translator. It should be noted that people from Tatarstan DO NOT like to be called TAR-TARs. Until Suzy described internal flights in Russia, I had grand ideas that it would be adventurous to go there. Now, have changed mind and decided am great coward with no desire to go on aeroplanes without seatbelts or oxygen masks.

The fact that I was sent to dinner with the delegation meant that I got dine like a posh person -- at Tatler's Restaurant. Everything was terribly delectable, however I would like to not recommend the White Chocolate, Honey and Pinenut Cheesecake, so there will be more for me. As well, was most impressed by the presence of Hendrick's! (Am quite displeased by the realisation that Matthew McT failed to accompany me to the Hendrick's Olympiad this July, as I seem to recall a vague ginny plan to do so. There is video footage of what was missed! And now I shall weep.)

No comments: