Sunday 14 October 2007

Labels

How does one go about labelling one's self?

At evensong, the vicar in his sermon inquired as to how we would identify ourselves (e.g., father, banker, daughter, doctor), and this has left me a little puzzled, as I am not quite sure how to identify myself, and don't think I could do it with one word or phrase either. John, of the Gospel, identified himself as 'the disciple whom Jesus loved'.

His point was tangentially referrent to Frere Roger, who was killed during the celebration of mass by a deranged woman, and that the new book about Fr. Roger describes that he died in the way that he lived -- in love for his neighbor, that being one of the two Great Commandments -- this being the identifier of this man's life.

While I am a lot of things (many of them a bit silly), I would certainly hope that there would be a little more soul to my reductionary epitaph than 'knitter' or 'blogger' or 'reader' or 'resident of ____ city'. It makes one want to try a little harder to make a better label.


if the world is night shine my life like a light
Indigo Girls, 'Let It Be Me'

1 comment:

Kate said...

I often wonder who the heck I am. I've actually started a photography project based around women's identities. If you're interested in participating, let me know (only classy, clothed photographs will be taken. I say this not because I expect your mind to be in the gutter, but many a man has asked if it is that sort of project and I want to preempt this sort of talk. :) )