Thursday 1 November 2007

Gangstas and chiropractors

So, I am totally driving a gangster car. It is a Chevy somethingorother, and at least it is silver. (One cool girl from Temple U that I met laughed at me and said that, yes, you are completely driving a rental -- she had one in Texas and it was gold. Ick. Pimp-mobile.) There is a term that these type cars appear to be called here: crossover. This sounds like cross-dresser to me.

Ooh! I found it -- it is an HHR. Can anything be sillier-looking than me driving this? I submit that it cannot! Bear will have his photo taken with this vehicular absurdity. It shall be called the ridonkulous car of the week.

*******
Tip of the week: Never be so unfortunate as to have your display table next to that of a Chiropractic School at a fair-type event of the recruiting nature. Because if you do, you will no doubt be assaulted and mentally molested by a Type-A annoying individual who is trying to convince you of something, although you are not exactly sure what this is. Topics that were covered in this spacial-invasion 'conversation' included: engineering, how this is not related to the body, the spine, and childhood vaccinations. I think he was trying to confund me with his extremely speedy talking and logical gymnastics by asking inane trick questions like, 'What is health?' and 'If your shoulder hurts (at which point he touched my shoulder.... grrr), is it a health problem or a parts problem?'. If I didn't answer fast enough, he would repeat the question 4 seconds later in a rapid-fire sort of way. (Some points were valid, like about healthy-eating ideas and Americans over-using medications instead of changing things, but really. SHUT UP!) Fortunately, he was fast-talking (big shock) to a poor, unsuspecting, and way-too-polite potential student, and my sneaking out with my materials at the end of the fair went unchallenged.

*******
Horrific food item of the week: Mac and Cheese snack bites. These are comprised of macaroni and cheese, rolled into little balls, battered, and then deep fried! And it appears to be important enough to start a discussion board thread -- WHO ARE THESE IDIOTS? Well, I just can't go there... If you can't say anything nice, come and sit next to me and Dorothy Parker.

*******
Bird of the week: the Canada goose. There are thousands of these birds grazing (or whatever it is that birds do when they are eating grass) around every pond in a grassy field that I pass. It is quite a nice sight. No birds have been shot by Herself... so far. Have taken photo of a horde in Morrisville, PA, but cannot locate camera connector to USB port.

*******
Slacker of the week: moi. Actually, am not slacker, am great coward. Or extremely sensible person. Was to have attended college fair at Girls' High this evening; however, drive there gave distinct feeling of venturing deeper and deeper into ghetto. This, along with the fact that a 25-year police veteran died this morning after being shot in the head at a Dunkin' Donuts yesterday morning. This happened in north Philly, as is Girls' High. The perp is still on the loose and doubly armed since he stole the police officer's gun as he left the scene. And I did not feel like chancing a meeting with this person while leaving the school after 8pm this evening, it was dusky at ten to 6, when the fair was to be starting. Instead of this multi-cultural stress, have had...

Lovely meal of the day: Salmon, asparagus, carrots and salad. This, after experiencing the...

Fleecing of the day: paying $40 a day for valet parking (over the next 3 days).

*******
Additional items of note from the day:
* have not hit any mental cyclists who are riding helter skelter through traffic sideways with no helmets.
* And managed to click locks to open car while walking across street just as traffic warden writing me a ticket since one of my visits wouldn't stop talking. (phew) Traffic warden told me I was lucky.
* Am doing well with no map. I heart grid system road planning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that your car is very unfortunate, but aren't you happy to be in the states:>