Saturday 10 November 2007

Trains and Things

Have now ridden on my first inter-city Amtrak train (Amtrak is kind of a joke in much of the US). It was okay, really, although with a couple of odd notes (which of course I would like to complain about and mock). However, it would be more genteel perhaps to start with some compliments to the train:
* firstly, the seats in coach class have a heckuva lot of leg room;
* there are also these nifty little footrest things that swing down and can be adjusted to different heights;
* Americans seem to be quite pleasantly conscientious about picking up their rubbish on the train.


Now the mockery:
* Ummm, I had to sign my ticket before the ticket collector on the train would take it. Exactly what is the point of this? To show that I know which end of the pen the ink comes out of?
* There is a luggage limit. For both number of bags and weight and size of said bags. What?!?!?! I mean, it is a train; it doesn't need to be balanced like FoxNews (their slogan is 'Fair and Balanced', fyi). For the record, I was over the luggage limit -- way over, with my three bags and the fact that one of them weighed 173.9 lbs (just kidding) -- and was scolded by the ticket man, but then he said, 'Well, you just remember the 2-bag limit for next time...' Upon my expression of concern for getting back to DC on train next week, he said, 'Ahhh. Well, just tell them you travelled with these bags before.' Ooookay -- I guess we will just hope for nice people on Tuesday, too. It seems that although the loudspeaker announcements broadcast that you will not be allowed on the train with anything over the limits, it is not impossible to do so. My bags were eventually stored in the handicapped section, since luggage storage racks for an entire train car (not counting the overhead bins) measure approx. 18 inches wide and 6 feet tall, with no shelves in this completely inadequate space. Am glad that no one handicapped needed the space, although am not sure how they would have gotten a wheelchair through the train doors since they, and the connecting passageways, are about the width of my shoulders.


Now the comedy which almost was... but it wasn't:
Made very sensible decision to not attempt subway navigation, exited train station (only got stuck in elevator door once, and not at all on escalators!), and took taxi to Brooklyn with my obscene amount of luggage (not really obscene, just obscenely awkward since one piece is a large display box for a table display and frequently gets me stuck at comical angles in various doorways and at the occasional corner. Navigation is really not that outlandish -- it involves hauling large suitcase with one arm, whilst balancing display board on top of tiny rolling laptop case. A kickstart is required for both sides, though, with a sharp jab at the space right above the wheels to get bag into angle for wheeling. All very scientific.). Amtrak car hop called me Xena when he loaded my luggage in the taxi trunk :)

By this point, my forearms are impressively strong. It is too bad that I have been doing nothing else to improve muscle tone in the rest of my body.


However, today am going to walk on the Brooklyn Bridge, which is about three blocks away, I think -- although it looks as though the bridge goes overland for about the eqivalent of 7 blocks or so. Was not aware that bridge was oldest suspension bridge in US. Bear may go, but he might not be able to have his portrait taken as it would be traumatic if he blew into the East River.


Yesterday evening (evening was pretty much when I got here at 4.00pm, and it was pitch dark by 5.15), saw Statue of Liberty for first time and took picture of her from erratically-moving taxi. There is much hope to take a better one today, although do not think have time to go on SoL tour, which is a bit of a shame.


Am staying at Marriott Brooklyn Bridge, which is very nice (except for their $12.95/day +tax internet heist). My 36" flat screen HD tv is amazing, except that the twisty pedestal makes extremely loud and horrifying squeal when turned. Am surprisingly impressed by HD. And they have some lovely lotion from Bath and Body works called Orange Ginger (social identity and hotel chain aspirations of such by complimentary hotel bath items sounds like an interesting study). Now, I smell like an accompaniment to sushi :)


Xena out.

No comments: