Thursday 8 November 2007

Alarming

Hundreds of people had to evacuate the Renaissance hotel, conference centre and attached shopping mall today due to a rogue fire alarm. It was really unnerving, and makes one aware of the sensibility of the Boy Scout motto: Always be prepared. As it was, I was able to gather my computer, mobile phones and inquiry cards (and one P.G. Wodehouse library book -- again, always be prepared) into my rolley bag in less than 10 seconds. Unfortunately, had there been a real fire, my knitting and Bear would have perished and I would have had no socks.

As well, I am not really supposed to be here at the NAFSA Region VIII conference; the good news being that they are not going to make me pack up and leave. It is fairly unclear whatever happened to the registration and cheque which were sent mid-August. The funny thing is that Region X (NYC, next week) appears to expect me and presumably has my registration (should prob. check that tomorrow) since they have been emailing me details of conference -- however, since both cheques were sent to Region VIII, it is a bit puzzling how the Region X payment got forwarded on... dodgy, I must say.

About to sit at my table during dessert reception this evening, whilst aroma de chocolate brownies and freshly baked cookies (which are the size of my face) wafts past my nosy. Not sure if am up to venturing forth with groups doing restaurant hops tonight or if I want some take-away (yes, you Americans get on with your snickering) and Law and Order, or $10 Maryland Clam Bisque. Prob. not actually gonna go with the $10 soup... it was okay last night but not $10-good.

No comments: