Sunday 24 February 2008

Light and colour

This morning, I have watched the light transform in a most amazing way.

My first attention to the matter (due no doubt to the alertness brought about halfway through my cuppa tea) was when a second glance out my front window provided the visual information stimulus that the house across the square (1A, which I would really have liked to have moved to if it weren't £150/month more than my cute house -- although admittedly tiny, twisty stairs and inattentive persons don't always mix well...) was no longer yellow, but appeared quite blue-white. This transformation of light happened within 63 seconds, i swear. It was quite bizarre!

Upon walking to window to check if this was the result of a solar eclipse, my eyesight going, or an alien invasion (spaceships affect light filtration, you know. Don't Panic.), it was actually only the result of the bank of cloud moving southeast-ish, with the bluest sky appearing in its wake. The cloud bank was a beautiful collection of deep pinks, purple and violent grey edged with silver white. At the section closest to being overhead there were a couple of stragglers who were pure white, just tootling along to keep up.

The skies in East Anglia are truly amazing and change so very quickly. Sadly, i do not seem to be able to capture much depth of outdoor colour with my camera (esp. blue). I have had a couple of fits. Every time I see some splendid array of colour, I think of the Norwich School and how it is no wonder such landscapes and skies sparked them.
This is the best example I could find online (George Vincent, Trowse Meadows, near Norwich, 1828), and it is not such good quality, so readers will have to come for a visit and we will go to the collection at Castle Museum...

Now the clouds are all gone, the sun is shining BRILLIANTLY, and it is time to inspect the house for dust (due to the good light). I shall need another cuppa tea.

No comments: