Monday 25 February 2008

Helmet Hair

...is not really fun. Of course, it is amusing, no doubt, to others. But not really so much to you. And when people smile at you in your purple cycle helmet, you really sense they see you as an imposter and are not thinking, 'Oh! What a good safety-conscious ladeeee.' No, they are thinking, 'What an utterly foolish purple-hatted idiot. Well, it takes all sorts.... bless.'

*******
Okay. Now I am over my paranoia :) I shall continue to wear my silly helmet (well, on Wednesday when I again trek to work) and have my fabulous little clicky lights that are LED and extremely bright (although my coat has to be tucked under my bum or the back light is hidden. This is challenging when you stand up to pedal up a difficult grade and your coat gets free and then when you try to tuck your coat in by moving your hips forward during pedalling movement... well, let's just say that's not such a cunning plan. Fortunately there was no traffic at all coming when my bike jerked suddenly and demonically to the right towards the middle of the road during this attempt.). It also happens (entirely accidentally, I swear) that my cycle helmet matches my bike, which is also a silly, yet fun, purple colour melange.

In case readers haven't figured out, one of the errands yesterday was to buy some lights and a helmet for me, because a) E cooks really too excellent food; b) i eat too much of this outstanding nosh [esp. the soda bread]; and c) i don't even have to walk the 10 minutes to the bus stop anymore. The helmet has been the easiest excuse with it getting dark so early in the winter, but even I admit that the 3 months I have been 'planning' to get one is a bit long.

*******
Yesterday's other errands involved:
* going to church
* going to B&Q (for board to make an additional dish shelf and for the Clever E to make a perfect shelf to go under my kitchen sink cabinet). B&Q is no relation to Home Depot, even though they both use way too much orange in their marketing plan and have the same fonts in-store. Maybe they are cousins. They should not marry; it would be frightening. HOWEVER, in a Normal for Norfolk way, my local B&Q was fined last year for requiring interviewees to dance during their job interviews... and another mention. And even the Tube paper!
* going to St. Clement's to a) put scratch cover on the two pieces of wood I am allowed to touch, b) pick up rubbish from the churchyard, and c) decide on my plan of cleaning attack for next Saturday (it will involve spider webs, dusting, and a dead pigeon -- hoorah!).

No comments: