Saturday 24 March 2007

Reviews of life

Saturday 9.33 pm (before DLST)

Am very slightly appalled.

Have just returned from dinner to find turn-down service has been in my horrific room to leave mints on my pillow and close the curtains. My room is a disASter. Every item from my suitcase is strewn over my bed (and the floor). Even the bear has been straightened on the prepared pillow area from his flung askew position of my departure.

Poor pillow turn-back people. They are probably wondering why in the world I was upgraded to the 17th floor – YES! Am on the 17th (out of 18) floor. Needless to say, I can see the ocean from here. This pleases me.

Today, spent three-ish hours in Central Market (toodling and generally faffing about).Returned to find MARvellous 17th floor room (had to take pictures was so happy with accommodation). Flung things around in clothes-changing mania and headed to beach at Glenelg. Have never been so cold at a beach (prob. wouldn’t have been so cold had I kept cardigan on, but was unable to keep skin completely hidden). Found most marvellous shell specimen within 5 seconds of entering water – it is being added to hoard. Lovely beach (although had to return to city within two hours due to plan for hair fussing and because of cheaper ticket on tram, which was founded in 1929, btw). On trip home, saw wool shop from tram window – terrifically disappointed, but more financially secure.

Had absurd need to have hair prepared for wedding next weekend (covering grey and cutting, requiring that mother cancel hair appt. next week – we don’t have time for such vanity in such a short trip). Liquid Hair is the place to go in Adelaide and you must ask for Jenny. Super colour (although personally, I could have gone darker, my mother will be pleased) and excellent cut. They asked, ‘Are you going to be a regular customer?’ I might have to be…

After removing myself from the list of The Great Unwashed, took hour-long walk searching for Fate-Designated place to eat. Fate has designated that I do a scathing restaurant review. A Taste of Spice is not worth positively mentioning either as a service industry experience or as an example of Malaysian Cuisine, as promised by their sign (several people on Yahoo! have given it good reviews, but they can also not spell, so you shouldn't take them seriously.). And if you have a hope of spicy food, you will have been seriously misplaced in your hope. My Seafood and Vegetable Claypot, one of the most expensive items on the menu, was adequate at best. A blind, olfactorily deprived person could have prepared the boiling claypot – it was not horrid, but it was mediocre. There were vegetables and seafood, as one might presume. Samosas, which ordered as starter, were ice in the middle. It took 7.3 years to get second glass of wine (which one needs when one has had icy samosas which have sat on one’s table uneaten for 30 minutes). Meal took two hours, and not in a pleasant Italian way. Thank God, I had a book to read, although am sure I looked a right git.

One additional problem I have with the world is with the way that restaurant staff sometimes treat individual diners. This will be fodder for a future rant, but I suppose I can save rant for later.

To console self after disgruntled dinner, have ordered London Crumble and large milk from room service. They have also brought me an apple and a piece of chocolate.

I love Hilton properties!

No comments: