Sunday 8 July 2007

Bells

This morning, mama and daddy heard the bells from St. Michael Coslany. Admittedly, this did require their phone to ring at approximately 5.10am Central Standard Time, but mama at least seemed to like it :) I was clever and managed to catch the last set with my call -- it might have been more traumatic had I rung at 4.30am CST.

St. Michael's is no longer a church as such, but is a science discovery centre. It is nice, though, that they let the bell ringers come in and practice (or whatever it is they are doing). Article linked above is quite interesting and links back to a site with information on 650 Norfolk churches! According to my neighbor, George, there is something special about these bells, but have not managed to find this out yet. Planning mission to historical section of library as George says there are lots of little old ladies with a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be asked :) (If have not mentioned it, have joined library and am quite pleased to have done so, esp. as in Cardiff was not allowed to join library as had not lived there for 3 years or something daft. Also, books on loan are for THREE weeks! Hoorah!)

Anyhoo, the Mama wants some pictures of St. Michael. And of the abode... Yes, I know. I have been negligent with the blog overall lately. So, after the sun went in for a little rest (as it is too bright for good pictures), complied with the Mama :)

From article linked above, it seems that St. Miles is a linguistic evolution of St. Michael's, hence the name of my alley. I have noticed that all the churches have alleys next to them with a matching name and could not figure out why mine was different from the church name. So, now we know!

This photo was taken from the doorway of my house. You may notice the 3-foot stump at the left of the picture. This was a lovely (and according to George, 100-year old) tree, which had the prettiest tiny pink flowers this spring. I think someone in the Council should be beaten.



Another pic looking from about the aspect of my front window and down the alley toward Oak Street.

My house is at the altar end of the church. Churches are historically built along an East-West axis. The reason for this being that Christ is to return as the sun rises (which is in the East) and also because Jerusalem is Eastward. Here is interesting article on the English Parish Church as well.

The Mama additionally wants proof that I am not living in penurious squalor (well, she didn't actually say that in so many words, but we all know how worried mamas get). So here is evidence that I am not living in squalor (although the dishes did get stowed in the dishwasher and the knitting was formed into one pile...).

Firstly, should say that I will only be sleeping on the floor for two nights (and the mattress is really comfy, so it is okay). This morning, a very nice couple came to see my futon and bought it! New (and posh) futon arrives at shop on Tuesday. And then I get to figure out how to get it home -- it is supposed it will fit into a taxi but I am dubious.

On left of top picture, mail slot in front door is seen. Green glowing life box in corner is Norfolk residence of Jasper and Carrot (and Forsythe, who will be introduced once an adequate portrait can be taken -- he has been behind the filter for about three hours now).

Now from other aspect. Doorway leads to one step down where is airing cupboard (my closet) and the shower room.

Lastly, view from bedside table corner. Sadly, the lovely curved brickwork of the fireplace going towards upstairs did not fit. Will take more pictures when new futon arrives.

And we move down a step and look into the shower room! How tidy!

And down another step into kitchen. This step down is a bit large and my poor toes got stubbed quite a few times in the first days here. Grrrr.... Kitchen looks kind of dim, but it is really not quite so. Paul -- Note cast iron skillet and muffin tin hanging on left above stove. Note Millie the Gerbera daisy in the sink. Back door is barely seen on right.

Finally, looking back toward living/bed room. It is a little less prettily fixed yet, but it is really quite fine.

[Table was obtained for me by my former neighbor, Brenda, who formed the person part of the parade of Mr. Brew (the fat Pom), and Mr. Diamond (the black cat with white socks) -- they used to toodle around the square, her on her motorised cart, and it was just the cutest thing. Mr. Brew snoofling along eating dirt and sniffing things, Mr. Diamond being flitty and cattish (and not letting you pet him if you made eye contact at all) and Brenda smoking her heart out :) They have since moved across Norwich and I owe her a note...].

And, then finally, finally... this is my screen which is almost finished for my front window. It is most unpleasant methinks to have curtains shut unless it is night-time. It is truly dark at 11.15 at night and is light at 4.30am. Not that my windows are open to the world after dusk, but you hate to be all cloistered and gloomy (after all, I haven't become a hermitess yet). So, I got a willow garden trellis and wove gossamer ribbon in black and white through it to make it a little more private to have window open in day. Need more ribbon and think maybe some little beads to tie at each of the junction spots, but overall, am quite pleased. This was one of yesterday's projects :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't looked at your blog in a while so I apologize for the tardy comment. :) Anyway, I LOVE your place. It's looks tres cool and very "Amrie". I hope to see it in person some day! Cheerio!