Thursday 24 May 2007

A Place to Lay One's Weary Head

Figured had better try to blog a little today, or people might start to wander away and I wouldn't have an audience for my rants and interesting and amusing stories (similar to Mo-Deen in the B-52s song. If you are unfamiliar with my reference, you clearly do not listen to enough B-52s. And this is not talking about the planes.).

Tomorrow, have the day off in preparation for another Trip to America. Taxi from flat at 8.00am Saturday morning (ick). This time, going to NAFSA (a conference for international education), and it is in Minneapolis this year. Paulrus has been so kind to encouragingly use the term 'Murderapolis' in reference to my trip, so am not quite sure what to expect. Although, it has been ranked 7th most educated city in the US by EncartaOnline, so this gives me hope. At least criminals will be well-edu-mac-ated. UEA has a booth, so I have been organising quite a lot. We are hosting a reception as well, which has had a couple of hiccups: firstly, twice as many people will attend than we expected (which is good) and secondly, the first venue I booked cancelled on me (which was bad). Fortunately, after a great deal of swivetting behaviour, another venue is booked, The Gale Mansion, which promises to be even better!

*******
Tonight, there might actually be a bed in my house for me to enjoy my repose!

Or there might not. No instructions seem to be included in very large box that was delivered at approximately 11.26 this morning. Hmm. And there are some very large spring mechanisms that need attaching. Well, we can all hope that should the various pieces make it into a unified whole, it will not collapse in the middle of night, scaring me half to death and leaving a big knot on my bonce (this means head/pate/skull in Irish -- well, I assume this as it is used by a Wirish person with whom I am acquainted...). Let us hope together! And maybe sing Kum Ba Ya.

It may sound alarming that no bed has been present until now, since I have been woefully lacking in time to blog. I have not had to sleep on my tile floor. On Moving Day, managed to get to get to Futon Company moments before closing time and collect two chair blocks (on sale), which fold out flat (this be for visitors -- hint, hint!). They have made a lovely double bed for moi and the bear over the past week and a half, but it is rawther a effort to creak one's self up from floor level in the morning, every morning. (Would have loved to have gotten a futon from Futon Co., but they are incredibly proud of their products. Prouder than I am to pay for them.)

Flat still quite unfurnished, but at the moment, is not even a slight concern as all I care about is my very own kitchen! There has been nowhere to sit other than the 'bed' or the fireplace steps, but now the blocks will serve nicely for a while.

On another note (although related to moving, since involved me being reunited with my bike), today is the fourth day I have cycled to work! Have discovered new levels of strength and determination within soul. Norwich is supposed to be flat. Well, it is not entirely :) But this is good. My time has decreased every day on the ride in: Monday (30 min), Tuesday (22 min -- using different route, though), Thursday (20 minutes -- using same route as Tue, but not getting lost in cemetary or flailing about wildly due to bug attack on eyeball).

Additionally, today have so far made three journeys between personal habitat and work due to bed/futon delivery (actually called a Shanghai Magic 3-seater sofa). And there is one more to make. Am exceedingly glad not to have to come in tomorrow!

I must be going now. Really, I must be going :)

No comments: