Sunday 27 January 2008

Windy Baw

So, just last week, the question was put to me whether there is ever any communication confusion between myself and E due to accents, vocabulary etc. My answer was that it was mostly misunderstanding on my own part due to the rapidity with which the Welsh accent can be dispatched.

However, an incident has occurred which makes me feel less like I need either a hearing aid (which I might) or a translator.

As we all know, E is a rugby fan. He is not very much a football/soccer fan. His term for football/soccer is 'Wendy Ball', as in 'Oh, there is no need to go there; they are just showing the Wendy Ball.' (meaning, 'for sissies', or other gamist points of view) The other day, as my poor feetsies were pitiful from the wrinkled-up inside soles of my boots and I needed a short rest, we went into a pub, and when E returned to the table, I said, 'Well, sorry we had to come in here.. they are showing the Wendy Ball...' To which E replied in genuine confusion, 'What?'

Conversation continued thus:
A: 'The Wendy Ball...?'
E: 'Windy Baw?????'
A: 'Yeah. The Wendy Ball...' (with slight rise in intonation as to question sanity)
E: 'Windy Baw' (with slight downtone as to question sanity)
A: 'WENDY BALLLLLLLL'
E: 'WINDY BAWWWWW?'
A: 'Yes. You know, Wendy Ball!'
E: 'What is Windy Baw?'
A: 'Ummmm....' (points at t.v.)
E: 'Ooohhh! Wehhhhhndeee Bawllllll' (with far-too-exaggerated vowels)
A: 'Well, yeah! That is what I said....' (with a 'y' in sayudd just for emphasis)

We shall push forward in our linguistic efforts.

Wee shore weeyull, shuggah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turn your Ketchie accent to eleven!!!

Play scrabble but remove half the vowels to torment him!!!

just kidding.

DawnyLiz said...

Don't you be takin' any nonsense from that Welsh boy d'yu hear honey child!He no makin' sense!

Just call him 'twp' if he plays up (pronounces t/u:/p the u: is the same as in sugar)it is Welsh for stupid! D xx