Thursday 30 August 2007

Leadfoot

It is baffling to me how a normal-sized person upstairs can manage to sound like a 400-lb Homer Simpson doing aerobics. And this is just when she is walking normally. When she runs down her stairs, she apparently leaps into the air for joy at the bottom, and it is quite possible that one day she will just come on through into my room.

Although she is lovely, and her name is Lucy (which is a pretty name and reminds me of Mrs. Tiggywinkle), I am really glad that she is moving in a week. (However, this will be slightly anti-climactic, as I won't be here for a month, so it won't really help my headache that much. If noone is there to hear a loud person, are they still loud?)

Returned from Cardiff yesterday (v. sorry not to have gotten together with anyone in the two days I was there, but was helping pack E's house as he is moving), and wonder if my two 'hollydays' left this week will be calm or if I will be sucked into work stuff. The past two days of hollyday, too, have been proofing and re-proofing brochures which were supposed to have gone to the printer by end-of-day in Louisiana yesterday. (Monday was a Bank Holiday here, which means that it has mutated into a day for everyone but shopkeepers to be off).

*******
A few notes on the season:
The hayfields are in full harvest (and have been for some time -- I may try to go out on my bike this afternoon and locate a good photo, although no promises). Some is in rolls, some is in huge bales and some is in smaller longish bales. Barns are filling and this, along with the shorter days, is a sign that winter is coming.

Heather is in full bloom.

Not sure if they are still as beautiful, but just a couple of weeks ago, another planting of rape was brilliant yellow and is one of my favourite parts of the countryside quilt.

East Anglia apparently farms a lot of grains. Seeing a field undulating and scintillating in the sunshine and wind makes me understand the line 'amber waves of grain' more than perhaps I comprehended in the pine forests where I grew up :)

Wales really is greener than England. The view when driving west on the approach to the Severn Bridge is absolutely amazing.

Temperatures have been cooler (much, much cooler than Loosyanna and Texas -- am not really at all looking forward to being in 100* in a week and a half) and I even had to turn my heating on one night a couple of weeks ago! Lots of people are complaining about this, but I hate to complain (hee hee hee).

2 comments:

Kate said...

If I had known that you were in town to help with packing, I would have wondered over and helped pack! (As I still don't have an N.I. number nor a second job.)


I hope the packing went well and that you're trip to the land of sweltering heat goes better than the plan!

DawnyLiz said...

I thought I had two WWF opponents living upstairs from me ...until I actually met them as they are both lean and spindly ...but make SO much noise! Especially at 8.00am every Sunday morning when the 'bedroom noises' start ...very vexing!