Friday 20 February 2009

Clever Monkeys

...those darned students!

They are just too smart for their own good. But it does make one snicker :)

So, the story is that our Marketing and Communications Division (MAC) developed a super-duper-magical-forward-thinking marketing campaign with real alums, which I may have mentioned previously -- through fits of giggles -- as they had a 'Back-End' strategy to put the ads on the backs of busses.
(mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha... okay, focus.)

It is called the 'Made In...' or the 'Born and Made' campaign. Some grammarians in the group have a problem with awkwardness of construction of both here, but what the hey. We are only Crawling Insects, so it is best to Keep Calm and Carry On.

Well, lately some current students have become disaffected with the University, because of some 'green' policy preventing construction of more parking lots on campus (after a new educational building took away 50% of the parking lot). While I do applaud the 'green' intent to encourage people to take public transport, walk, cycle, etc. -- it is just sometimes not feasible. But anyhoo, staff get preference for the meagre remnant of parking slots in the morning...

...resulting in queues of students sitting in cars for ages, blocking the car park entrance and repeatedly pushing the button for a ticket until they are allowed in at 12.01pm, or some such nonsense. This blockage can prevent staff from getting in as well. It is all a big kerfuffle (that word makes me happy. And what fun etymology!).

And this causes vexation, increased angst and rage apparently.

So, in retaliation, the clever monkeys designed their own advertising campaign:
Clever monkeys! Personally, I think we need them on our design team, since they have been very creative in their protest -- and I bet they didn't even have to pay an overpriced designer (instead of the on-campus 'Publications' office, with their completely wasted Macs) to produce them. I mean, I do my best with Word, but £100 for a Quark license (which I discovered today) would save money and time since I design my own brochures, write the text AND do the initial layout anyway -- do you think they would pay me half the fee they pay the designer?

Yesterday, there were posters plastered all over the University, as above. Yet, today, they are mysteriously missing... a spate of thievery of clever objects (in which students are so apt to indulge), or a severe infringement of Freedom of Speech?????

However, the chef has just informed me that there is no UK law for Freedom of Speech!!!
Shocked! Shocked and appalled, I am! And shall perhaps need to go outside and
jaywalk (since it is not against the law here) to make myself feel better.

*******
Thankfully, today is the beginning of National Margarita Weekend -- although I have severe doubts it means this nation... and we have no tequila.

My husband does not know who Jimmy Buffett is... we shall have to remedy this travesty.

3 comments:

Paul said...

I miss being a crawling insect!

Anonymous said...

And you know that Fat Tuesday is next week. Please please tell me you have some beads to throw at people!

Anonymous said...

Anne Marie~ You make me smile with your witty blog. Kerfuffle...I now love that word, if I can only remember it. Thanks for the grins!

Your cousin,
Debbie