Saturday 1 December 2007

Toasty Bottoms

Last night there was much shame. The bottom fell off my cornbread (or rather remained with the pan). It is uncertain whether this was caused by a) putting too inspecific an amount of yogurt in the mixture in lieu of buttermilk; b) using Flora sunflower oil for baking purposes; or c) just my deteriorating cornbread-making abilities. Also, I didn't really pay attention to the clock, but it wasn't burned... It still tasted fine though, and went nicely with last night's freshly concocted chili. Mmmm, mmm, warm!

Today, have bought and installed draught excluder (this is known as 'doorway flashing' or just plain 'flashing' in home improvement circles in American. Although, now that I think about it, the term 'doorway flashing' does sound a little scandalous.). This is another example of vocubulary differences between the two cultures which can make you feel really thick in certain circumstances. Fortunately, Eamonn had informed me of the proper terminology so that people at Thorn's Hardware wouldn't look at me funny; although they always do. It is fascinating to not see light shafts around the door frames.

Also, today, have realised that myself (and my own bottom) is completely out of shape as almost had asthma attack after riding the piddly distance of: down Colegate St to Magdalen St, past cathedral, and then had to walk the rest of the way to Bank Plain. This was pathetic. In the most pathetic terms.

Fortunately was able to recover enough to do a little shopping for entirely non-frivolous and necessary items: such as a 3000 piece puzzle, some carrots and broccoli, some black-toile effect Wellies, and some butter.

The Christmas Fayre has arrived for a week in the centre (pic only of normal market and to show what a pretty day it was), as well as various winter excitement as a walking/talking snowman (but he doesn't have a hat and this alarms me), lots of people dressed as hobo clowns, and a triple hula-hooping woman in a cat suit. Last night, there were Hobbits playing flutes (actually, they were just dressed in medieval costume, but they were kind of tiny people. Clem and I didn't check their feet for fur.). Additionally, The Salvation Army is out, and I do like this.

In Britain, there are no Christmas Salvation Army bell-ringers standing outside every store entrance (and I fully intended to say much earlier how inappropriate it is in the US for them to be already out in force in the DC area on 14 November -- this is entirely too early). Instead, there are actual bands in uniform who perform in the street. I don't think they only do this at Christmas as could almost swear to have seen them during the summer, but perhaps British-type readers might enlighten us all on their schedule? (ahem, Matthew?)

Am going to either need to re-knit my hat or knit a new smaller one, as even though it is skullcappish, it is not tight enough to be immune to wind. This forced me to mostly wear hat pulled way down, causing me to look slightly like a Fat Albert character -- the one who peers out from eyeholes in his hat, Dumb Donald.

Here is a lovely picture of the sunset on Tuesday evening. Unfortunately, the clouds don't show up so fabulously rich as they really were.

*******

Now, I shall watch Live and Let Die, as it has just come on ITV. I didn't know that Jane Seymour was a Bond Girl... but then, my childhood was sheltered :) And now I feel incredibily inadequate in the eyelash department.

No comments: