Sunday 10 January 2010

Bananas


Due to one's frugal noticing of the sale bananas at Bobbins (the farm shoppe dans La village), this afternoon's primary culinary activity involved making Banana Pudding for a certain Wirish person, who seems to be unfamiliar with said dish. Despite a typically apathetic attitude toward dessert-type foods (odd, I know), he did manage to clear his bowl and then ate a couple of bites out of the pan (there was no company, so this was acceptable). This indicates to me that it has been approved.

I was quite pleased with my pudding texture and so happy to have the recipe from The Oma Cook Book (ed., Judith and James). Banana pudding is the first recipe that my Oma's mama taught her to cook, and the recipe has been passed down from the five maternal generations preceding moi. Oma is unfortunately not here in La Village to concoct puddings on request, and since it appears that January is now Oma-'Spa'-Month, we must hope that she returns from the hospital soon so she can make sure we are cooking our puddings correctly.

*******
This past week was an interesting week. It has been my first 'normal' experience with long-term snow, and the exoticism and thrill has not worn off yet. We have had probably 4 inches (or maybe more) of snow this week and it has been cold enough that it has stuck for almost the whole week. It is the coldest winter in Britain in 30 years!


Kitty likes snow. Angus is obviously related to Simon's Cat, as the 'Snow Business' video is pretty much his hyper reaction to the crunching snow. However, after his outside frolicking, Kitty likes to come inside and be cosy. This is an example of stretching and looking cute in order to have some tidbits of gorgeous seabass dinner with leeks and rostis... (the snow is not forcing us to diminish the culinary exploits of Chef Eamonn).


Along with the kitty, the snow is fascinating to me, too. I am quite obsessed by snow clouds and learning to see snow coming over the fields, although I am glad not to be in charge of driving to work in the snow (see L).

I love how snow makes everything quiet. Except for the ducks and the pouncing kitty. I love seeing parents pulling children to school on little tobogans. I love the crunch and squeak of the snow under one's boots. I love the way it sparkles in the sunshine. I am not so taken with wind-frozen teeth, so I suppose I had best be quiet.... nahhhhh.

Monday was my first acupuncture treatment, and whilst it is quite bizarre (I am going to wear my contacts to tomorrow's needling, so as to see the two that are in my hands... it is all quite wierdly fascinating).

Thursday was the first Knit Night of 2010, and Clare convinced me not to wimp out. We have returned to The Forum, now that loud Mondo Night is no more. It was a little chilly :) 





Pretty Night Snow.









Saturday was far too cold to open St. Clement's to the public (even with the Cloak), but we made it into town on La Bus with the goal of climbing the tower and getting some snowy photos. Dawdling in the bank caused us to miss the sunshine, but maybe the snow will still be here next week (although my enthusiasm may cause me to have no playmates remaining).



The view towards the Cathedral looks over the River Wensum and since the road below is a bus route, it is obviously a little clearer than the view down Colegate, below on R (the second church tower down Colegate is St. Miles -- where I lived in my little flat). The river has not frozen :(




The climb up and down the tower is always a little dusty and wind-ing. Stopping to continually take photos of one's feet can get a little vexing for the person behind you. But, oh well... :)

Stairs at the very top are really quite tiny. There is a very small section where the stairs are not stone, but are wooden.


So many hands have touched the central support of the spiral stairs, the stone is smooth and shiny. This is my favourite part. Despite its being a bit wonky, there is no risk attall of anything falling to pieces quite yet.

At the bottom, the person behind the photographer can finally escape into the less claustrophobic air.

2 comments:

Virginia said...

I must learn this banana pudding recipe! Or is it a fambly secret? Hope you're staying warm!

Elizabeth said...

How lovley it was to see St Clemments again It bought back those happy memeriors of when we clombe up the tower. How I would have loved to see all the lovley snow. Elizabeth